Thursday, August 2, 2007

Ants and snakes

by E and E

Today, when we went to feed the goats I saw a colony of ants and they were eating this food but I don't know what it was. It looked mushy and orange. Here is a picture, but the food is gone:


On Monday, my class was looking for ants and we needed to see how much time it took the ants to find food. It took 4 1/2 minutes. They picked up yogurt-covered raisins! They left some behind.

Yesterday Miss Martha or someone else found a baby rat snake. I wonder how it sprayed that odor onto Miss Martha's hand. It really smelled bad! There was a tree near the house on the hill, near the barn. There were snake eggs in it. One of them hatched. That may be where the baby snake came from.

1 comment:

Martha said...

That is a great question Emily and Erik! Snakes have many defenses from predators, in which this poor little snake thought I was one. Some are venemous, others are fast, and some like the baby black rat (even Rojo - our corn snake), will secrete a foul-smelling substance from anal glands at the base of the tail when alarmed. I hope this answers your question.